Abandonded Cars IV

See the latest abandoned cars at Abandoned Cars I


From right, a 1949 Chevrolet, an early-60s Chevrolet Corvair and a 1955 Ford are lined up in a field of abandoned cars. If you find yourself on historic Route 66 near Erick, Okla., you might want to check the field of used-up cars, trucks and tractors. Watch out for the weeds loaded with stickers! (Photo by Jim Meachen)






This 1957 Plymouth Savoy is a police-car survivor in Oregon, Wis. The entry-level Savoy was popular in the late 1950's as a fleet vehicle used by taxicab companies, police departments and other fleet-minded customers where luxury was not a concern. The model was also available to customers who were in the market for a low-cost, economical vehicle with the availability of a V-8 engine and automatic transmission, and the room of a full-size vehicle. (Photo by Ed Meachen)




The Dodge truck was restyled in 1939 and the styling was continued through 1947. Civilian truck production ended in 1942, but Dodge trucks were used for the World War II effort to the tune of 255,000 trucks. This 1941 Dodge bus was found in Nevada. (Photos by Jim Prueter)



Cadillac was enjoying a sales resurgence in 1941 before production was halted because of World War II. For the first time in many years all cars built by the company shared the same basic engine and drivetrain in 1941, and 1941 also saw the introduction of the optional Hydra-Matic, the first mass-produced fully automatic transmission, offered the previous year on the Oldsmobile. This 1941 Cadillac was found in Texas. (Photo by Peter Hubbard)


An excellent example of a 1941 notchback Pontiac Torpedo sedan was discovered in a North Carolina farmyard by photographer Ralph Gable. Pontiac introduced the Torpedo in 1940 on the General Motors C-body. The Torpedo shared the body with the Cadillac Series 62, Buick Roadmaster and Super and the Oldsmobile Series 90. The Torpedo had larger windows and wider seats than other Pontiacs, and the hood ornament was a plastic Indian head mounted in a metal base. Available engines were a 3.9-liter Flathead inline 6 and a 4.1-liter Silver Streak inline 8, both mated to a 3-speed synchromesh manual transmission. Above, the Torpedo living area as depicted in a 1941 advertisement. (Photos by Ralph Gable)




This early '70s model Fiat 124 Spider was discovered infested by eastern North Carolina weeds at the back of a lot. Introduced in 1967 as a 2+2 convertible, nearly 200,000 were built through the 1985 model year with about 120,000 sold in the U.S.  Four-cylinder horsepower ratings ranged from 90 to 102 through the '70s. Zero to 60 times were around 11.5 seconds, acceptable for roadsters of the era. The Fiat competed with such nameplates as MG and Triumph. Above, a 1970s magazine ad for the Fiat 124 that included a cutout of the car. (Photos by Jim Meachen)