Abandonded Cars IV

See the latest abandoned cars at Abandoned Cars I

This 1937 Ford sedan was found along Route 66 in Holbrook, Ariz. The most popular Ford engine in 1937 was a 3.6-liter flathead V-8 making 85 horsepower with 144 pound-feet of torque. Base price of the 1937 was $850. Ford was the top-selling brand in 1937 with 942,005 copies sold. Chevrolet was second at 815,375. (Photos by Jim Meachen)




The Jeep Grand Cherokee dates back to 1993 starting life with a 190-horsepower inline 6-cylinder engine and an optional 5.2-liter V-8 making 220 horsepower. It was a sales success with more than 1.6 million copies sold from 1993 through 1998. This mid-90s first-generation Grand Cherokee was found in retirement in a field in southeastern North Carolina.
(Photos by Jim Meachen)


Dodge sold the D line of pickup trucks from October 1960 through September 1993. This second-generation 1968 Dodge was spotted in Utah. The 1968 model can be distinguished by its grille with two rows of four holes each. Sold as the D300 and the D500, they came with a choice of two engines — a 127-horsepower Slant Six and a 177-horsepower V-8. (Photos by Jim Prueter) 


The front of a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser and the rear of another '57 Mercury are pictured in an old-car salvage yard in Texas. The Turnpike Cruiser was built in 1957 and 1958 in commemoration of the creation of the Interstate Highway System. Unfortunately for Mercury, despite some glowing reviews, the Turnpike Cruiser was a sales flop with only 18,861 sold in 1957. (Photos by Peter Hubbard) 


This "New Design" medium-duty GMC truck (1947-1953) was found in retirement in Utah. Both the Chevrolet truck (Advance Design) and the GMC were redesigned in 1947 by General Motors. That iteration was built through 1955. The 1947 redesign featured integrated headlamps as well as wider, lower and bolder grilles. (Photo by Jim Prueter)




This 1936 Chevrolet truck cab was found parked on a city street with a rusted-out fender and running board, but otherwise in decent shape. Most Chevy trucks were propelled by a 193.9 cubic inch straight-six-cylinder engine throughout the 1930s. (Photo by John Harper)



From right, a 1949 Chevrolet, an early-60s Chevrolet Corvair and a 1955 Ford are lined up in a field of abandoned cars. If you find yourself on historic Route 66 near Erick, Okla., you might want to check the field of used-up cars, trucks and tractors. Watch out for the weeds loaded with stickers! (Photo by Jim Meachen)






This 1957 Plymouth Savoy is a police-car survivor in Oregon, Wis. The entry-level Savoy was popular in the late 1950's as a fleet vehicle used by taxicab companies, police departments and other fleet-minded customers where luxury was not a concern. The model was also available to customers who were in the market for a low-cost, economical vehicle with the availability of a V-8 engine and automatic transmission, and the room of a full-size vehicle. (Photo by Ed Meachen)




The Dodge truck was restyled in 1939 and the styling was continued through 1947. Civilian truck production ended in 1942, but Dodge trucks were used for the World War II effort to the tune of 255,000 trucks. This 1941 Dodge bus was found in Nevada. (Photos by Jim Prueter)



Cadillac was enjoying a sales resurgence in 1941 before production was halted because of World War II. For the first time in many years all cars built by the company shared the same basic engine and drivetrain in 1941, and 1941 also saw the introduction of the optional Hydra-Matic, the first mass-produced fully automatic transmission, offered the previous year on the Oldsmobile. This 1941 Cadillac was found in Texas. (Photo by Peter Hubbard)


An excellent example of a 1941 notchback Pontiac Torpedo sedan was discovered in a North Carolina farmyard by photographer Ralph Gable. Pontiac introduced the Torpedo in 1940 on the General Motors C-body. The Torpedo shared the body with the Cadillac Series 62, Buick Roadmaster and Super and the Oldsmobile Series 90. The Torpedo had larger windows and wider seats than other Pontiacs, and the hood ornament was a plastic Indian head mounted in a metal base. Available engines were a 3.9-liter Flathead inline 6 and a 4.1-liter Silver Streak inline 8, both mated to a 3-speed synchromesh manual transmission. Above, the Torpedo living area as depicted in a 1941 advertisement. (Photos by Ralph Gable)




This early '70s model Fiat 124 Spider was discovered infested by eastern North Carolina weeds at the back of a lot. Introduced in 1967 as a 2+2 convertible, nearly 200,000 were built through the 1985 model year with about 120,000 sold in the U.S.  Four-cylinder horsepower ratings ranged from 90 to 102 through the '70s. Zero to 60 times were around 11.5 seconds, acceptable for roadsters of the era. The Fiat competed with such nameplates as MG and Triumph. Above, a 1970s magazine ad for the Fiat 124 that included a cutout of the car. (Photos by Jim Meachen)




The remains of this early 1990s Chevy Blazer S-10 two-door apparently served as a parts car and has been reduced to a skeleton ready for the scrapyard. The Blazer S-10 came with two versions of the 4.3-liter V-6, the base engine making 170 horsepower and an high-output engine making 200 horsepower, neither of which has survived in this wreckage. (Photos by Jim Meachen)