Abandoned Car of the Week

GMC truck loses its glitter



This 1956 GMC pickup truck, once used as a tow truck, could stand some tender, loving care. It is living the old Biblical saying, dust to dust, and ashes to ashes; and perhaps we can add, rust to rust.
(Photo by Jim Meachen)

Working life long over



Following World War II International truck production began with a slightly new design for 1947 with the barrel-shaped grille sprouting little "wings," which are mostly gone from this 1948 model truck discovered in North Carolina. International stuck with the front-end design until 1950. This truck apparently hauled heavy farm equipment in its working life.
(Photo by Ralph Gable)

Still looking for a new owner

It appears the "for sale fresh date" has long expired on this 1951 or 1952 Ford F-5 work truck discovered rusting away in Trapper Creek, Alaska. The truck was restyled for 1951 and received only a few minor changes for the 1952 model year. (Photo by Jerry Brown)

North Dakota Oldsmobile

Oldsmobile was endowed with a new exterior design for the 1948 model year based on General Motors' newly developed C-Body platform, but clung to its pre-war flathead straight-eight engine. For 1948, the compression ratio was increased from 6.5:1 to 7.0:1 and horsepower was nudged upward from 110 to 115. Customers who waited until 1949 were rewarded with an all-new overhead valve V8 engine. This '48 model, discovered in Ellendale, N.D., is outfitted with a 4-speed Hydramatic automatic transmission. A three-speed manual was also available. (Photo by Jim Meachen)

International pickup sinks into South Dakota lawn



This 1956 S-line International pickup truck has been retired by Larry's Wrecking Service in Hosmer, S.D. The International Harvester company built pickup trucks from 1907 through 1975. The standard Black Diamond 240 six-cylinder engine in the 1956 truck made 131 horsepower and 208.5 pound-feet of torque.
(Photo by Jim Meachen)

'56 Ford rusts away in retirement



Its work years long past, this rather bedraggled 1956 Ford F-300 lives in retirement beside a barn in North Carolina. Ford completely redesigned its lineup of trucks in 1953 and added "00" to the end of the existing monikers, thus the F-1 became the F-100, etc. One of the biggest changes was a new "full wrap windshield" extending over to the vertical door post.
(Photo by Ralph Gable)

Mercury in the weeds



This 1969 Mercury Monterey is nearly swallowed up by weeds in eastern North Carolina. The large Monterey was introduced in 1952 and built through the mid '70s, the last generation running from 1969 to 1974. Four V8 engines were available for the last generation ranging in size from a 6.5-liter to a 7.5-liter. A three-speed automatic was the transmission of choice.
(Photo by Jim Meachen)

Studebaker trio



Studebaker was on its last legs when these two 1965 sedans hit showrooms. About 20,000 Studebaker cars were sold in 1965, not enough to keep the struggling company afloat. The last sedan came off the assembly line in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, on March 16, 1966. The third member of this all-Studebaker lineup is a 1960 pickup truck.
(Photo by Ralph Gable)

Alaskan International



This used up 1941 International pickup truck was found near Trapper Creek, Alaska, its bed now used for growing weeds — or perhaps flowers of some variety.
(Photo by Jerry Brown)