Abandoned Car of the Week

Texas Chevy in retirement



For the second time in as many years, Chevrolet came up with a totally new car in 1959. From the front and rear the 1959 Chevrolet resembled nothing else on the road. The headlights were placed as low as the law would permit and the most visual new change was the flat, wing shaped tailfins. This 1959 was found in a field in Blanco, Texas.
(Photo by Jim Prueter)

Old Plymouth lives in New Mexico



Known in the 1950s as one of the "low-priced three" along with Ford and Chevrolet, Plymouth enjoyed solid sales. For instance, in 1950 Plymouth was the nation's third-best seller with 610,954 units sold. Chevrolet (1.5 million) and Ford (1.2 million) were first and second respectively. This circa 1950 two-door coupe is part of an idyllic scene in a New Mexico ghost town.
(Photo by Jerry Brown)

'Hippie' Mercury in Utah



Mercury, designed to bridge the price gap between Ford and Lincoln, was redesigned for 1952 and became essentially two vehicles — the base Custom and the higher-priced Monterey. The Mercury continued to be powered by Ford's flathead V-8 in 1952 and 53. This "hippie" copy of a 1952/53 Mercury was found near Hanksville, Utah.
(Photo by Jim Meachen)


The remains of a '46 Chevy



Chevrolet was the number two automaker behind Ford in 1946, the first full year of sales following World War II. Chevrolet sold 398,028 cars, about 70,000 fewer than Ford. It would take Chevrolet a couple years to ramp up to the one million units it sold prior to the war in 1941. This example of a '46 Chevrolet was found in an abandoned condition in Texas.
(Photo by Peter Hubbard)

Stopping for Mexican food



This used-up abandoned 1955 Chevrolet truck was spotted along Route 66 in Tucumcari, N.M. Perhaps its last stop was for some Mexican food at the Ranch House Cafe. It appears to be outfitted with a modified camper. For 1955 Chevrolet offered an impressive total of 75 "Task-Force" models on 15 different wheelbases designed for everything from light delivery to over-the-road hauling.
(Photo by Jim Meachen)

Post WW II Cadillac



Cadillac stopped its World War II tank building on Aug. 24, 1945, quickly changed over to cars, and rolled off the first 1946 Cadillac sedan on Oct. 7, 1945. The 1946-47 Cadillacs were basically a continuation of the 1942 models. Production ended shortly after the Peal Harbor attack on Dec. 7, 1941, before being resumed four years later. This 1946-47 sedan was found in a New Mexico salvage yard.
(Photo by Becky Antioco)

Watching the passing Route 66 parade



This post-World War II Chevrolet wrecker watches the passing parade on old Route 66 in Carterville, Mo. First available in June 1947, the "Advanced Design" trucks were sold with various minor changes over the years until March 1955.
(Photo by Jim Meachen)

Route 66 post-war Nash



Many old cars decorate the 2,300 miles of Route 66 and this circa 1946-1948 Nash is a good example. This two-door coupe was found in Baxter Springs, Kan., advertising a bail bondsman. Nash enjoyed good sales after World War II building 94,000 cars in 1946, 101,000 in 1947 and 110,000 in 1948.
(Photo by Jim Meachen)

Texas truck survivor



This 1939 Chevrolet work truck was found standing proudly in retirement on the side of a road in the hill country of Texas stripped of its lights and bumper. 1939 was one of the last model years Chevy trucks and medium-duty vehicles shared an appearance with Chevrolet passenger coupes and sedans.
(Photo by Peter Hubbard)

BMW lives in the weeds



This late-80s BMW 3 Series convertible was found in an abandoned condition in eastern North Carolina. Convertibles were introduced to the second-generation 3 Series lineup in 1985. The first 3 Series was sold in the U.S. in 1977.
(Photo by Jim Meachen)